[IPython-dev] Qt SVG clipping bug (it's NOT a matplotlib bug)- Qt won't fix...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 19:36:52 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

[CC'ing mpl-dev just for reference so they know we're taking care of
this on our side]

I've been investigating further the bug where clipped paths in SVG
render wrong in our console.  It turns out the mpl team already fixed
some things on their side, and I can confirm that their SVGs now
render fine in inkscape.  Here's an annotated example:

http://i.imgur.com/NCSEJ.png

However, the problem seems to be that the Qt SVG renderer simply
doesn't support clipping paths, period.  Furthermore, they seem to
have decided they won't fix this, as the bug was closed with "won't
fix":

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-1865

>From the Qt experts: am I misreading this?  Because if we're indeed
stuck with a half-broken SVG renderer from qt, then we'll need to
reconsider our implementation of pastefig(), to perhaps support an
optional format flag so that users can send png if they prefer...
Bummer.