[IPython-dev] Bug with __del__methods on exit

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 16:27:41 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> With __builtins__ protected, the same problem is resolved in my py3k
> version, which now passes all the test suites it attempts, apart from
> IPython.frontend (I'm a bit stuck with the pyzmq stuff).

I committed a fix that pulls both forms (with and without the 's') and
added a unit test.  Thanks for help with tracking this down.

> I've removed the commented-out lines from ipy3-preparation, as you suggested
> on my pull request.

I committed a slightly different form with a more explicit comment,
and leaving the original code still commented out, I think your idea
of having it handy for someone tracking a problem is a good one for a
while.  I'd rather save one of us time in a debug session than be a
stickler about code purity :)

Thanks again for the great 2to3 work!  Now all of that is merged, and
hopefully your py3 branch can remain as auto-generated from trunk as
possible.

In the future, while we will *try* to not re-introduce things that you
need to clean up, we may do so accidentally (none of us is running
2to3 regularly yet).  So I hope you'll  be able to point us to any
inadvertent slips in that direction when they happen, and we'll fix
them quickly.  From my review of your branch, I had the impression
most things were pretty easy (like using iter* methods on dicts so the
semantics are unambiguous for the 2to3 tool).