[IPython-dev] IPython-ZMQ about client and server division.

Gerardo Gutierrez muzgash.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 13 01:06:45 EDT 2010

Hi everyone.

This week, Omar and I were discussing about the fundamentals of this project
(again) which apparently are not clear enough (at least for me).
The thing here that I'm talking about is based on Omar's idea that every
other frontend should connect to the client not the kernel, I'm referring to
the *client* as a frontend because I think it should be written in the same
manner as the other frontends, this is if the frontends were going to
connect to the kernel, as I thought initially.

This idea, I think, will lighten the tasks the other frontends will have,
but I think also, that the idea of having to rely on two processes for a
simple client/frontend (Qt,ncurses,etc) is not healthy.

I'm not really sure if this questioning here is explained in the diagram
that Omar has in the wiki, but it's very important for both of us to clarify
this soon.

I hope Omar reads this message soon so he can explain better his idea.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

Best regards.
--
Gerardo Gutiérrez Gutiérrez <http://he1.udea.edu.co/gweb>