[IPython-dev] Move of IPython development to GitHub completed

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon May 10 05:46:34 EDT 2010

Hi all,

[Cc'ing -user list for those of you who use our source tree, since the
bzr one on Launchpad won't be updated further]

as per our recent discussions and scheduled plans, the LP repos have
all now been moved over to GitHub.  I've created this repo:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython

For now I only have Brian and me added as 'collaborators', simply
because I don't have the Github login from anyone else on
~ipython-dev.  So those of you on the ~ipython-dev Launchpad team

https://launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/+members

who would like to continue managing the main repo, please just contact
me with your GitHub id.  Please note that since GitHub allows trivial
collaboration between anyone on the site, without needing to create
special 'teams', we won't be making a special '-contrib' repo like we
had on Launchpad.  That team and associated repos were simply to work
around Launchpad's limitations, on github we don't need it.

I have migrated all 113 open bugs from Launchpad to GitHub, including
links to their parent on LP for reference, as well as their full
commit history:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues

Note that on LP we had 210 listed 'open', but that included many with
'fix committed', which I didn't migrate since once 0.10.1 and 0.11 are
out they'll automatically close, and I didn't want to populate our
GitHub repo with a ton of effectively dead bugs from day 1.

But I was very careful not to lose any important information from old
bug reports, the only problem may be some ugly formatting because
GitHub uses the markdown syntax and thus renders funny some of the old
comments.

I'm sure we'll have to do a bit of adjustment to the new setup, but by
and large I'm convinced it will make everyone's life easier in the
long run.

Please let us know of any problems you may encounter.