[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Wendell Smith wackywendell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:41:43 EDT 2010

Sorry I'm late in responding - I was traveling for some time, and then
came back to a lack of internet which was only restored today...

As for urwid, I'm not sure... I haven't looked at it in detail, but at
first glance, it seems to want to run its own mainloop, the
documentation isn't great, and there seems to be nothing written
anywhere about when / if it will be ported to python 3. I'll take a
closer look, but I'm not sure. At least in my plan, there would be
nothing very complicated in the use of curses - no menus, for example -
and while it will be somewhat complicated to implement a nice text
editing box on top of basic curses, I'm not sure if adapting the one
from urwid will fit.

But with two positive recommendations to go on now, I'll give it a
closer look than I did earlier; maybe it will make things easier.

-Wendell