[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Fri Mar 12 15:45:16 EST 2010

On 09.03.10 16:35, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Walter Dörwald <walter at livinglogic.de> wrote:
>>> Yes, we need to decide what to do with ipipe for 0.11.  My feeling is that
>>> it should be hosted as a separate project (that is why it is in deathrow)
>>> but this has not been discussed.
>>
>> I have no problem with taking ipipe out of the IPython distribution and
>> releasing it as a separate project.
>>
>> We could have a page in the IPython wiki that lists all external IPython
>> extensions.
>
> I'm not convinced we need to pull ipipe out,

Releasing ipipe as a separate package would have several advantages:

  * I wouldn't be forced to use bzr >;->
  * ipipe could have its own set of requirements
  * and be released on its own schedule

Being part of the IPython core has its advantages, but as long as ipipes
existence is documented in the core, a standalone should be no problem.

> *if it can be
> maintained/tested along with the rest of  the code*.  So if you think
> you can update the code/tests,

As ipipe is mostly interactive, ther currently are no tests. However
some parts of ipipe could be testet.

> I don't see a need to pull it out, as
> long as it can be brought up to the current api/standards, and you can
> foresee maintaining it in the future.

Servus,
   Walter