[IPython-dev] Gitwash: a git/github workflow document for review

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 00:11:37 EDT 2010

Fernando,

A nice lightweight way for dev's to contribute code is to use git
format-patch.  I like how Sympy encourages contributions using this
approach as it is super easy.

I almost think that this document will have the tendency to become a
larger and more involved - and eventually start to overlap with things
like the progit book.  In my experience, the most useful thing for new
devs is having an *exact*, project specific (the real project like
ipython, not gitwash) list of commands that cover %80 of the usage
cases.  Like:

# Get your fork:
git clone git at github.com:ellisonbg/ipython.git

# Create a feature branch
git branch foo
git checkout foo

# edit files, # for each file do:
git add [filename]
git commit
# rinse and repeate

# To post branch to github
git push origin foo

I am thinking like more of a single concise cheatsheet that covers
everything a new user would want.  Basically a "what to type" guide
that fits on 1 page.  The reason I say this is that existing
references like the progit book are so extremely good, there is not
reason to spend time describing the concepts.  Also, I think for a new
user, it will be confusing that the docs are about gitwash rather than
ipython or nipy.  Sorry if this is a bit pessimistic.

Cheers,

Brian