[IPython-dev] Merging only 1 commit from branch to trunk

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:11:01 EDT 2009

2009/10/18 Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com>:
> http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/index.html#cherrypicking

I think this is what I remembered, and unless I'm misunderstanding
something, it has the problem I alluded to, as indicated by this
sentence:

"""
Unlike a normal merge, Bazaar does not currently track cherrypicks. In
particular, the changes look like a normal commit and the (internal)
revision history of the changes from the other branch is lost. In many
cases where they are useful (see above), this is not a major problem
because there are good reasons why a full merge should never be done
at a later time. In other cases, additional conflicts will need to be
resolved when the changes are merged again.
"""

This means to me that once you've cherrypicked from branch A into
branch B, then you'll never be able to do a merge(A->B), because the
cherrypicked commits are likely to cause conflicts.

That's precisely the problem I alluded to, am I misunderstanding something?