[IPython-dev] Test failures and errors in trunk

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:41:59 EDT 2009

OK, I found the commit that introduced the error.  It first appears in
this revision:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fdo.perez/ipython/trunk-dev/revision/1155

The previous revision passes all tests just fine.  You can get the
problematic revision by doing:

bzr branch lp:~fdo.perez/ipython/trunk-dev -r 1155

It is worth checking that the previous revision is OK on your system as well.

But, this one could be a challenge to figure out.  In this revision,
you were only touching non-twisted parts of the test suite - basically
getting the ipdoctest stuff working right.  Hopefully between the two
of us we can figure this out.  I know the Twisted stuff, you know the
ip testing stuff.

I am going to switch gears to help Ondrej with some things.  If you
end up looking at this and have questions on the Twisted side of
things let me know.

> Wow, that would be fantastic.  I didn't think I was touching anything
> twisted-related, and since I'd seen this problem before, I thought it
> was the same thing.

Looks pretty similar, but I think it is somewhat different.  I have
never seen the double call to reactor.run() before.

But

> I'll know better from now on never to ignore a twisted problem, even
> if it's a bit of a Heisenbug.
>
> In the meantime, I'm working up some utilities to ease the virtualenv
> workflow, based on some of the scripts that are out there from Doug
> Hellman and Chris Burns.  This will let us do tests in 'naked python'
> virtualenvs more easily, so we can really have a test suite that at
> least runs gracefully (skips but no errors) on nothing but
> python(stdlib)+nose+ipython.

Yes, this seems like it is pretty important.  I ended up doing that
when we did the last release and it really helped.

Cheers,

Brian