[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] [Enthought-Dev] Ctypes based prototype of PyOS_InputHook for wx 2.8 and 2.9

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Fri Jul 17 16:07:50 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Robert Kern<rkern at enthought.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 14:48, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michiel,
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas.  I have implemented both of the approaches you
>> describe and I am attaching a file that has all 3 approaches.  At this
>> point, all 3 approaches work on OS X, Python 2.5 with wx 2.8/2.9.  What I
>> most need to to find strenuous test cases that can probe which of these has
>> the best performance?  Robert, could you run the Chaco test again with
>> approaches 2 and 3 and try tuning the parameters (see the docstrings)?
>
> #2 was pretty good out-of-box. #3 was slightly better than #1 but
> still noticeably chunky. Reducing the sleep down to 0.01 instead of
> 0.05 made things appreciably smooth. I thought I noticed a tiny bit of
> chunkiness, but I certainly didn't do a double-blind trial.

Exactly the same observation on Linux. E.g. #1 the slowest, #3 quite
good, #2 perfect. However:

with #2, if I did copy and paste of some command into the python
terminal, I could see how ipython was putting the command letter by
letter on the prompt, e.g. by pasting "inputhook.remove_inputhook()" I
could literally see:

in
inp
inpu

(everything on one line, e.g. like if there was sleep(0.05) between each letter)

with #1 and #3, pasting was immediate.

Ondrej