[IPython-dev] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:38:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:04:33AM -0700, Brian Granger wrote:
> >    So, how does affect your project?
>
> >    * People will be able to use your project interactive from the regular
> >    python prompt.
> >    * You will need to make small changes to your GUI toolkits
> initialization
> >    code.
> >    * All of us will need to coordinate version transitions to make sure
> that
> >    there is a clean transition to this new approach.
> >    * I need help testing the new approach (especially with wxPython) to
> make
> >    sure that your project actually works with the new approach.
>
> Would it be possible for IPython to expose both solutions for a while
> (say 6 month to a year), so that we all have time to adapt?

Yes and no.  In the short term, this is definitely possible.  Also, as Ville
mentions, the new approach will also work with *any* older version of
IPython.

However, one of the main things that needs to be refactored in IPython is
the threading model.  This is needed for a variety of reasons, but the
bottom line is this - a number of projects are using IPython as if it were
thread safe (including IPython itself) - but it is not.  When I fix these
things (which will be soon), I am not sure (I am doubtful) that the threaded
Shell.py code will continue to work.  But, this is something that I can look
into.

But, at some point, we will have to say "if you want the old threaded
shells, you will have to use an older version of IPython".  We just have to
figure out what the transition looks like.

Cheers,

Brian