[IPython-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Announcing toydist, improving distribution and packaging situation

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 09:26:00 EST 2009

Hi David,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> Executable: grin
>    module: grin
>    function: grin_main
>
> Executable: grind
>    module: grin
>    function: grind_main

Have you thought at all about operations that are currently performed
by post-installation scripts? For example, it might be desirable for
the ipython or MayaVi windows installers to create a folder in the
Start menu that contains links the the executable and the
documentation. This is probably a secondary issue at this point in
toydist's development, but I think it is an important feature in the
long run.

Also, have you considered support for package extras (package variants
in Ports, allowing you to specify features that pull in additional
dependencies like traits[qt4])? Enthought makes good use of them in
ETS, and I think they would be worth keeping.

Darren