[IPython-dev] [Enthought-Dev] PySide to replace PyQt?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 27 14:46:58 EDT 2009

Hi Darren,

On 27-Aug-09, at 7:49 AM, Darren Dale wrote:

>> It seems as though Phil Thompson might have painted himself into a
>> corner.
>
> I don't know. Who could have anticipated the sale of Qt and subsequent
> license change by Nokia?

Oh, agreed. But once that happened (about 18-20 months ago IIRC) their
agendas were pretty much guaranteed to collide. It's unfortunate that
they couldn't reach an agreement.

>> At any rate, I for one welcome our new Finnish overlords.
>
> I'll reserve judgment until they can build and distribute a stable
> product across platforms.

Indeed, though with the amount of manpower they're dedicating to the
PySide effort, I don't imagine it will be long.

One thing that is a pain in the neck is the boost::python dependency,
which is sufficiently annoying to install on its own. Oh well.

David