[IPython-dev] Dropping 2.4 support

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:30:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Darren Dale and I were just talking about IPython's refactoring effort.  He
> asked how committed we are to providing 2.4 support moving forward (post
> 0.10).  There is no doubt that we would gain *a lot* by giving up 2.4
> support.  How do folks feel about this?

I'm inclined to want to drop it, but I'd like to make it a reasoned
decision.  Let's try to make a brief list of:

- Specific things we gain from being 2.5-only (not the "what's new in
2.5" document, but which of those do *we* benefit from)

- Which major forms of python distribution (linux distros, defaults on
solaris or other big unix systems, versions of osx, etc) default to
2.4?

At least that way we'll be able to weigh the costs and benefits and
document, if we take the step, why we do it.