[IPython-dev] Pylab support: How about dynamic backend selection?

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Sep 24 08:11:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

right now, IPython has special thread support for different GUI backends, and
special support for MPL/pylab.  AFAIK, when I specify -pylab on the cmdline,
ipython will choose the "right" GUI toolkit depending on my matplotlibrc
backend setting.  However, I sometimes need Qt4 and sometimes WX support,
which are both supported by MPL, but the -pylab overwrites the threading
switch.

My suggestion is to let the -pylab switch gracefully handle -foothread
switches by internally calling matplotlib.use(...) to let MPL use the same
GUI toolkit that has been specified on the cmdline.

What do you think?

Greetings,
  Hans