[IPython-dev] Frontendbase and compile_ast.

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 01:50:02 EDT 2008

Gael,

I will take a look at your branch as soon as I can this week. Just to
give you the reasoning behind compile_ast, at the time, Brian had
brought up the idea of passing around ASTs rather than strings to
represent code blocks in the IPython core and frontends. The advantage
would be that code transformations and modifications by the frontend
or by the controller before sending to the agents would be easier. I
thought that sounded swell and even started an aborted attempt to
change the core and frontends to using ASTs. Obviously, that
conversion from string -> AST hasn't happened and I didn't realize
that it introduced an incompatibility with 2.4. It's fine with me if
we remove it for now. I know you've worked very hard on the block
completion testing for your frontend, so I suggest we go with your
code for now.

-Barry