[IPython-dev] ipython-0.9.0.bzr.r1016-py2.5.win32-setup.exe?? [was: Re: Win32 IPython1?]

Alex Brown Alexander_Brown at uml.edu
Thu Sep 4 17:37:55 EDT 2008

Dave Peterson wrote:
> I was under the impression that Windows users could use the MinGW
> compiler to build things compatible with the MSVC we used to build
> EPD.   That's one of the reasons we ship it.

You are almost certainly correct - I did not have time to deal with this
in detail and found that VS03 worked well enough.  MinGW would be better.
> I don't know anything about DeinoMPI, but it seems to be the MPI libs
> that mpi4py will link against, right?  If so, you should be able to
> build mpi4py against a MSVC version of these by making sure to set
> your distutils.cfg or pydistutils.cfg to define the compiler to use to
> be mingw.   There are numerous threads on doing this on various
> mailing lists, plus it is covered in the distutils docs.
Hm - you are probably right - DeinoMPI is the culprit, not EPD.  The
build error was from mpi4py of course.  I will look into the cfgs.
> BTW, in the future, an EPD install will contain an appropriately setup
> distutils.cfg to default the compiler to the mingw we ship in EPD.
> IIRC, it is already in the current beta -- EPD with Py2.5 v4.0.30001
> Beta 1.
>

> -- Dave

Great - thanks again.  I'm not inexperienced with software make/build
tools in other contexts but Python internals and distribution tools are
still somewhat new to me;  I appreciate everyone's interest.

- Alex