[IPython-dev] Twisted 8...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:15:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I am plannig to get IPython1 working with Twisted 8.0 soon.  As you
>  mention, there should only be a few things we have to do.  How do
>  people feel about requiring the new version of Twisted?  It is a
>  significant release, and Twisted 2.5.0 had been out for a very long
>  time.

Just curious: what *benefits* do we obtain from using twisted 8.0?
It's nice that today, all of ipython1's depenedencies are satisfied
out of the box on current linux distros.  But even the
not-yet-released ubuntu has twisted 8, they are still on 2.5:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python-twisted-core

I'm not fundamentally opposed to requiring 8.0 if we actually need it,
but otherwise I'd prefer to find a way (if possible, I haven't looked
at the code) to work with both 2.5 and 8.0. I hope the twisted devs
didn't make so many backwards incompatible changes as to make that
impossible...