[IPython-dev] About IPython and bzr

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 01:13:14 EDT 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> My recently-from-scratch installed IPython stable-dev (what used to be
>  called trunk/) is now very easy to check out from launchpad:
>
>  bzr branch lp:ipython
>
>  One note though: NEVER CHECK IN SYMLINKS. I can't stress this enough.
>  Windows bzr does not support symlinks (even in a half-assed way like
>  svn), at least not yet, and I don't know whether such a checkin can be
>  reverted. So essentially, if there is even one checkin with symlink, I
>  would need to delete the branch and check it in again from local copy.

Could you investigate these alternatives and let us know how well they work?

http://bazaar-vcs.org/WindowsSymlinkSupport
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2007q1/023801.html

I'm asking because while we can live for now without symlinks on
trunk, it looks like we'll  be using bzr for everything in the future,
and it's likely we may need to use symlinks for certain things.

There are just too many things where symlinks are the right solution,
and it doesn't make sense to avoid it just due to limitations of
win32, so what we need is a good solution for win32 users.

Alexander is on this list too, so perhaps he can provide us with
useful feedback.