[IPython-dev] Moving IPython.kernel.core

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:04:29 EDT 2008

Barry Wark wrote:
> Brian and I thought it would be good to bring this discussion to
> everyone's attention, separate from the frontend plans. Below is the
> entire thread, but I've copied the relevant bits just here:
>
>>> It seems wrong that I.kernel.core is a
>>> subpackage of I.kernel. I know that it's there to isolate the ipython1
>>> stuff from ipython0 stuff, but before too many people start writing
>>> code using I.kernel.core, is it worth discussing if there's a better
>>> spot for it in the IPython tree?
>> Yes, probably.  I had originally thoughts about moving it to
>> IPython.core.  But the problem with that is I am afraid that it
>> suggests that it is a complete and working core.  My plan originally
>> was thus:
>>
>> 1.  Move the old core IPython.*.py -> IPython.core.*.py
>>
>> 2.  Refactor that stuff until it looks more like IPython.kernel.core
>>
>> 3.  At that point, get rid of IPython.kernel.core
>>
>> But maybe the better approach is:
>>
>> 1.  Just move IPython.kernel.core -> IPython.core
>>
>> 2.  Also move IPython.*.py -< IPython.core
>>
>> 3.  Refactor/combine the two inplace
>>
>> What do you think?  This probably needs more disucssion in a separate
>> thread on the list.
>
> Since I don't have any significant code that depends on ipython0, I'd vote for
> 1. Move IPython.kernel.core -> IPython.core
> 2. Move IPython.*.py -> IPython.old_core
> 3. Deprecate IPython.old_core as soon as IPython.core is capable of
> replacing ipython0

When I started working on IPython.kernel.core, I copied over a bunch of the
utilities like InputList. Do we want to change all of the
IPython[.old_core].utils to import the duplicated functions from there so we
have one copy to modify (and test!)? I ask because I would like to add a feature
to InputList.

For the curious, I would like to make InputList allow this behavior:

   In[2:4,6,8] == In[2:4] + In[6] + In[8]

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."