[IPython-dev] bzr - what am I doing wrong?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:09:13 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the correct mechanism for getting the trunk changes that come
> from other developer into ipfix?  Because at some point you still need
> to make sure you get those as well, so that you stay in sync with
> them.  Should you do the same as above but iptrunk<->ipfix?  Or can
> you push from iptrunk like this?
>
> cd /iptrunk
> bzr pull # from lp/upstream
> bzr push ../iptrunk

No, there is no point in doing both push and pull because both
operations make the repositories equal.

After pulling, you can just delete your ipfix branch and create a new
branch when you intend to do a change.

Let's assume that you start up by NOT having an ipfix branch. You
commit the changes directly to iptrunk branch, and attempt to push
them:

cd /iptrunk
hack hack hack
bzr ci
bzr push

BRANCHES HAVE DIVERGED error

Now, you need to get the changes from others, so you create the ipfix
branch and get a pristine, most recent version of trunk:

cd /
mv iptrunk ipfix
bzr branch lp:ipython iptrunk
cd iptrunk
bzr merge ../ipfix
bzr ci
bzr push   <== now, this will succeed.

The important thing is to minimize the amount of merging, and
generally not merge stuff from others - just merge stuff to trunk, not
the other way around. Of course you *can* merge stuff from others if
you need to, but don't make it a habit "just to be sure".