[IPython-dev] IPython development: course adjustment required

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 08:40:18 EDT 2008

On 6/1/08, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> So our current rethinking is: forge ahead with what we've been calling
> IPython0, and begin integrating the various key (and functional)
> components of IPython1 into it one by one.  The IPython0/1 split will
> end, and we will use all the good pieces of IPython1 to add
> functionality to ip0 without losing its current features.  At each 0.X

This is definitely a good plan; even if porting of ipython0 code to
ipython1 happened some day, the result would not be much "cleaner"
than today's ipython0.

Cleaning up ipython0's interfaces to allow inclusion of ipython1 is a
better scheme overall; there are many places where obvious cleanups
are possible (separation of input / output code etc), but have not
been feasible because of "maintenance" status and small team - not to
mention the questionable future. Essentially, creating an experimental
branch of ipython0 where cleanups and ipython1 feature integration
happens frees ipython0 from paralyzing conservativeness, and the
development effort of everybody actually ends up in the hands of the
end users.