[IPython-dev] Development plans update

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Wed Jan 30 04:41:11 EST 2008

> download, contribute patches, etc.  Obviously with hg being fully
> distributed, anyone can simply set up a publicly visible repo to offer
> material for experimental development, and that type of work is
> absolutely welcome.  But I think that having an official repo (or
> group thereof) is a good idea so that newcomers can know what to use
> from the start.
>
> Some references on the matter for the curious:
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/PublishingRepositories
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/HgWebDirStepByStep
>
> Comments on hg-based workflows are welcome.

When we switched to hg in sympy, we also started to review every
single patch. So my workflow is:

"hg email -ao" this will send my patches into sympy-patches
mailinglist. People will review it there, point out weaknesses, etc. I
rewrite it, fix it. When it's polished, only then I'll push it in.

With svn, this would be pain, because the trunk (=our official hg
repo) evolves all the time, and so my patches will soon become old.
With hg, I simply create a new clone of the repo for every new feature
I work on (right now I have around 10 clones for example) and I leave
my patches in there until they are approved. And I merge with the
official branch (hg makes this quite easy) in the meantime.

Comments on this are welcome.

Ondrej