[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] IPython development news and prospects

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Jan 16 12:16:02 EST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2008 00:33:22 schrieb Laurent Dufréchou:
> Many people seems to be interested in GUI frontend for ipython, don't you
> think it could be interesting to create a process whis a ipython instance
> inside (the same as the wxIpython thread class in fact) and The GUI
> wx,QT,everything else discuss with it via a network protocol like xml-rpc.

This is what we (mainly Ullrich Köthe) has done for our VIGRA library python
bindings (alas, not officially released yet).  There's a "pyterm" terminal
that works this way.

The major feature is that the shell's GUI is always responsive, even with
python code running.

Major obstacles AFAICS were Ctrl-C support (1), pluggable menu items (2), and
completion, but all of them could be solved.

1: See the "interrupt" module I once posted to this list.  OTOH, Fernando
(IIRC) lately introduced an ingenious solution in IPython that made this work
(at least with threads, which is even more difficult AFAICS) with pure Python
code.

2: For instance, if you type "import vigra" in pyterm, you'll get image
analysis-submenus that open dialogs for composing python commands.  If you
fill in variable names and parameters and press "OK", appropriate code is
pasted into the terminal.  Similarly, I have implemented a menu that
automatically contains all parameter-free functions from a specific file for
quick execution (for a teaching project).

All features require communication between the frontend and backend.  I have
also thought about porting our home-brewn communication code to xml-rpc, but
have not much experience with the latter (only from the python
challenge ;-) ).

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS