[IPython-dev] IPython1 versioning conventions

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 18:13:43 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

>  How should we version IPython1?  Should it have versions that:
>
>  1) Are somehow related to those of trunk IPython? (the current scheme
>  suggests something like that).
>  2) Are completely independent?

+1 for completely independent, the relationship hardly exist at this
point (it has not started to swallow the trunk code yet).

>  I think our current thought is that when IPython1 reaches version 1.0,
>  it would become a full replacement for IPython trunk (which would
>  itself disappear).  But that is still a ways off.

Yes, it is. Try something like 0.3, and we can start upping it when
it's starting to close in at feature parity with trunk.

How about creating that ipython1 project in launchpad now? I don't
think we should have those branches in IPython project, it gets kinda
messy as the code bases are not related (yet).