[IPython-dev] New hooks suggestion: line buf, cursor pos

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:22:49 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, while we are on this topic, what do you think about the eventual
> unification of the existing IPython core and IPython.kernel.core?  I
> would love to get rid of IPython.kernel.core, and just use IPython,
> but I don't think it is ready yet.  You probably know the existing
> core as well as anyone, so I wanted to get your opinion.

So what's missing from the IPython core that you would like to use?
Perhaps there is something we should add to ipapi? IPython core should
be pretty easy to extend in the fashion that allows it to do whatever
it is you need to integrate your other stuff with it.

> * What do you think the main challenges are? (I have my own list, but
> I am curious what you have in mind).

I don't really see the challenges, but that depends on your set of
requirements. I would "just do it" and see what breaks.

> * What do you think the best approach is to move forward on all of this stuff?

Again, it depends on what you mean by "all this stuff". Personally, I
would just use normal IPython as the engine, with necessary output
trapping as needed. If you list the problems you are concerned about,
I can give you more specific answers.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio