[IPython-dev] [Ipython-svndiff] 2717 - improve callable alias inspection

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 02:46:49 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > IPython does need bare excepts in quite a few places in order to
> > shield the user's session from errors thrown by random errors, but
> > sometimes that makes debugging very hard, since many of those pass
> > silently (exceptions in tab completion, for example).
>
> Not anymore, I made tab completion exceptions non-silent something
> like a year ago when they were seriously killing my completer work.

Well, there's still a few:

maqroll[IPython]> grep 'except:' completer.py
        except:
            except:
            except: continue
        except:

But in any case, for *users*, tab-completion exceptions should be
silenceable.  If you want a more developer-friendly setup than going
back and forth on the code to change the except clauses (which is a
pain), then you can implement the trick I suggested.

But if a user has a library with broken objects (I've seen quite a few
of those) that throw an exception where they shouldn't, it's going to
drive them bonkers to see a page-full traceback every time they touch
their tab key.

I know at some point I saw some of that nonsense, and I silenced it
again.  Please do NOT bring it back.  For any reason.