[IPython-dev] Fwd: [Pythonmac-SIG] readline support for OS X Leopard

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:51:55 EDT 2007

Boyd,

Great, I don't have Leopard yet, and it will be a few weeks before my
main system is running it.  In the meantime if you want to work on
this, I would simply start digging into the ipython source to see
where readline is used.  Fernando and Ville are probably the experts
on this....but Fernando doesn't run OS X (I'm not sure about Ville).
But maybe they could point you in the right direction for where to
start looking.  Here are some of the relevant files in the ipython
source:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython/trunk/IPython/rlineimpl.py
http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython/trunk/IPython/iplib.py
http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython/trunk/IPython/completer.py

If you start searching for readline you will quickly see what needs to
be done.  I would start by looking at rlineimpl.py, which imports the
correct readline.  This is called by iplib.py, which passes the
readline module to a completer object.

Let us know if you have questions.

Brian