[IPython-dev] %history and %rep

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:11:34 EDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> %rep
>
> - directly execute last line? for readline-handicapped?

Ok, that was a bad idea. Readline-handicapped people won't use
ipython, probably.

%rep should use str(_) as the input line. I.e. the stringized version
of the last result. Ever looked at those strings on variables that are
so close yet so far, i.e. require you to do the productivity-killing
chore of mouse-console-copypaste? Now you could do:

$ l = ["hei", "vaan"]

$ "".join(l)

==> heivaan

$ rep

$ heivaan_ <== cursor blinking

I've often wanted to construct the input line and then edit it, but it
always required copy-paste...