[IPython-dev] Regression bug in 0.8.x input filtering

Dan Milstein danmil at comcast.net
Thu May 24 10:41:00 EDT 2007

Okay, I'm sold on the %r as a reasonable magic, and whitespace
splitting as a reasonable req.

In looking to implement it, tho, I bumped up against something else
-- trailing qmark fun.

Specifically, we jump through some hoops right now so that:

 > !thing?

and

 > !!thing?

Trigger the shell handler, and *not* the help handler.  This was
particularly important/useful because the qmark is a part of some
valid shell commands.

For the exact two examples above, this is not... easy... to get right
if I start requiring the whitespace between the iFun and theRest of
the line.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but we're starting to move
from regex matching into parsing territory at that point.

But, as Fernando says, the shell generally requires whitespace, so
maybe it's okay if !thing? triggers help, as long as:

 > !thing (.*)?

and

 > !!thing (.*)?

trigger the shell handler.  *That* I can fit into the current
framework without too much pain.

Does that make sense / what do you all think?

-D