[IPython-dev] Undocumented Dependency on SQLAlchemy?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:33:36 EDT 2007

Hi Arne,

On 8/24/07, Arne Grimstrup <arne at ras.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I ran the test suite for ipython1 and got the following report:
>
> [ERROR]: ipython1.test.test_notebook
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/trial/runner.py", line
> 555, in loadPackage
>      module = modinfo.load()
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
> line 386, in load
>      return self.pathEntry.pythonPath.moduleLoader(self.name)
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
> line 621, in moduleLoader
>      return self._moduleLoader(modname)
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/reflect.py",
> line 357, in namedAny
>      topLevelPackage = __import__(trialname)
>    File
> "/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/test/test_notebook.py",
> line 22, in <module>
>      from ipython1.notebook import notebook, dbutil, xmlutil
>    File
> "/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/notebook/notebook.py",
> line 20, in <module>
>      import sqlalchemy as sqla
> exceptions.ImportError: No module named sqlalchemy
> Ran 116 tests in 7.629s
>
> FAILED (errors=1, successes=116)
>
> I reviewed the INSTALL and README files and didn't find any reference to
> SQLAlchemy being a requirement, like Zope/Twisted.  A search of the
> website (http://iptyon.scipy.org) also came up empty.  Is there somewhere
> else I should look for this information?

The two areas that are 'hard hat only' are core1/frontend and
notebook, and you've hit problems on both :)  You can safely ignore
all errors on them, but we should find a solution to make the notebook
tests optional, so they just get skipped or pass silently if
SQLALCHEMY is not installed.

So for now just ignore them, and we'll hide the dependency soon.  When
that stuff gets ready for release we'll revisit the issue, but since
right now you can't really even use the code yet, there's no point in
spending any time on getting SQLAlchemy at all.

Thanks for your patience and detailed reports though, we greatly
appreciate them.