[IPython-dev] pydb 1.19 released, thoughts about integration

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Oct 28 05:36:38 EDT 2006

Fernando Perez writes:
 > We'll certainly be supporting 2.4 for quite a while.

Okay. Thanks for the information!

 > The chainsaw branch will eventually offer all of the normal ipython
 > functionality, including magic support.  But hopefully we'll have a
 > much cleaner infrastructure in place to do so.

As I think we are discovering via ipython/pydb integration, it is not
clear that a number of these issues current discovered have been
adequately documented or documented as areas where it is known how to
improve. Two cases in point are

 - how to allow applications run from ipython to use ipython's object
   help routines
 - how to handle readline issues that running program needs

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the chain-saw branch has a
cleaner way to handle that what's in the normal branch, that would be
helpful to know; even if for technical reasons it currently can't be
applied there.