[IPython-dev] svnversion used for Release.py

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 02:35:05 EST 2006

On 11/30/06, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > now activates the interactive debugger (including pydb if available)
> > AFTER an exception has fired, even if you had %pdb off.  This lets you
> > inspect a crashed code interactively without having to do the old
> > dance '%pdb on; rerun code; %pdb off'.  I like it a lot more.
>
> Sounds great. If it works in all cases, we could as well deprecate
> %pdb, which suddenly became quite pointless.

Not quite: if you're in a rapid edit/run/debug cycle, the automatic
behavior of %pdb is nice.  It's also foolproof: it fires immediately
so there's no chance for a typo on your part to clobber
sys.last_traceback and make %debug useless.

So I think that %debug is what I'll use now 90% of the time, but I
still see a (admittedly marginal) use for %pdb.