[IPython-dev] Editing manifest.in

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 22 15:02:00 EST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:

>>On Unix, or even on windows with NTFS, there is no need for this at all, you
>>just use a symlink.  I'm constantly switching between the development version
>

> It's not quite so simple with NT. Only hard links are supported
> (IIRC), and absolutely nobody uses them.

Ah, I didn't know that detail.  Somehow I thought that NTFS was a real
filesystem ;)

Well, in that case go ahead.  I hate duplication and find it ugly, but I can
see the convenience value.  It will be your job to keep the two in sync anyway :)

Note that this may break in the future, because the package structure for
chainsaw will probably grow to something much more complex, so that running
off the unpacked directory _may_ be impossible (as it is with many large
python packages).  But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...