[IPython-dev] UNC readline and ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 21 09:02:25 EST 2006

Gary Bishop wrote:
> I am glad that folks find it useful. I know I do.
>
> I can take my version down anytime. I put it there as a service. I guess
> there are pointers all over the web, so I should, as you say, add a note
> that it has been superceded.

Great, many thanks!  We'll drop you a line when this is released, so you can
add such a note.

> Something you guys should consider, IMO, is replacing readline for all other
> OS! Python would benefit greatly from having its own readline written in
> Python. To first order all that would be required is a Linux version of
> Console.py. The rest of the code is mostly os independent.

Good point.  In fact, just this week on python-dev there's been talk of
_removing_ readline from python altogether in the future, due to licensing
concerns.  readline is GPL, and it's unclear whether the FSF could come after
Python for GPL violations.  Thread here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-January/059868.html

This could future-proof us as well.  All the more reason to move forward with
this plan, then!  Over time, we may experiment with enabling this under linux.

Note to ipython-dev: in light of this, should we reconsider using winreadline
as the package name?  Perhaps 'uncreadline' or 'gbreadline'?  Thoughts?

> Whatever license is fine with me as long as it doesn't restrict folks from
> using and modifying it.

Thanks.  BSD is about as liberal a license as they come, so we're OK here
then.  And it fits with the rest of ipython in this regard.

Best,