[IPython-dev] UNC readline and ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 21 08:40:27 EST 2006

Hi Gary,

I hope all is well on your side.  I just wanted to contact you regarding the
UNC readline library.  In the past, you've mentioned how you don't have much
time to work on it these days, and that you'd be OK with others continuing
maintenance of it.  In these threads (and some others before this)

http://scipy.net/pipermail/ipython-dev/2006-January/000817.html
http://scipy.net/pipermail/ipython-dev/2006-January/000828.html

we've been discussing doing this, and starting to distribute your readline as
part of ipython.  Several ipython users are willing to contribute patches, and
the new maintainer of the stable branch (Ville Vainio) is a win32 user who can
test and incorporate these contributions, so I expect this to improve the
library, in particular regarding support for non-US keyboards.

We'll begin merging this code and testing integration soon.  I was wondering
if you'd like us to drop you a note when a new version of ipython which has
this into it begins shipping, as you may perhaps want to put a note mentioning
this on your site.  This would point new users to the actively-developed
version of the library.

Please let us know (this is cc-d to ipython-dev) if you have any
comments/ideas/suggestions/objections regarding this.  Needless to say, all
original authorship notices will be maintained.

One last, important, question: before we can officially ship this, we need to
be sure that the license conditions are OK.  IPython is BSD-licensed.  Is it
OK with you that we distribute your code in this manner?  If so, we would add
a license tag to the files, to make sure this is explicitly indicated.

Thanks for having written this in the first place.  Without it, ipython would
never have been a really useful tool under a win32 environment.

Regards,