[IPython-dev] IPython1 parallel questions

Douglas Jones dfj225 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:43:30 EST 2006

Brian,

Thank you for the response.

I've been moving forward with the integration of my library with
IPython. Unfortunately, I've come across an issue that has prevented
our library from functioning correctly.

First, let me give a little background. Right now, our library is
loaded in each engine by importing it as a python module. There are
cases in our library when a function will be executed on each node,
but one node may take slightly longer to process. For instance, when
reading input node 0 is responsible for scanning the file and
distributing data to each process. Code of this fashion takes
advantage of MPI_Win_lock and MPI_Win_unlock when sending data to
other processes.

The issue I've come across is that at times these calls to MPI code
will deadlock in certain instances. What I think is going on is that
the functions in our library that do relatively little will return,
causing the IPEngine to continue to its input handler code (in effect
blocking on the engine's socket). If, after this has happened, another
node tries to do MPI_Win_lock or unlock the call will deadlock because
MPI is unable to communicate with the other nodes that are now blocked
in IPEngine code.

At least, this is my educated guess as to what is happening.

Is this an issue that you've had to work out before?

Is there some way to ensure that each engine will not block on its
socket until every engine has had a chance to execute the user code
completely?

I guess what I'm thinking of is similar to an MPI_Barrier such that
each engine would

execute(user_code)
Barrier()
#once each engine is at this point, the engines can return to their internal
#communication code

I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,
~doug