[IPython-dev] Creating shortcuts on windows should overwrite old shortcuts

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 02:45:13 EST 2006

As it stands (rc1), the shortcuts are not created by the postinstall
script if a shortcut already exists at target. This is wrong IMO - if
there is an older version of IPython installed, it remains pointing at
the old ipython. This only becomes a problem if there are 2 python
versions installed; my old shortcut used python 2.4, and hence
launched the version of ipython that was installed for python 2.4
(even if I selected python 2.5 on the installer).

Are there some projected problems in ditching create_shorcut_safe?

I'd also like to change the "pysh" shortcut to use the "sh" profile.

I think we should put out a rc2 with these modifications.