[IPython-dev] Copy & Paste in IPython under Windows?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 27 17:40:32 EDT 2005

Ville Vainio wrote:
>>But I saw that the 'terminal' that windows uses has a preferences panel with a
>>'Quick Edit' checkbox.  Checking that provides some basic copy/paste
>>abilities, though they seem to be restricted to the mouse.  I'm at the office
>

> I think you don't even need the quick edit checked to copy/paste with
> mouse. Just paint with mouse (caution - it freezes the window for the
> duration of the operation), press enter to "copy" ang right-click to
> paste.

So what does the 'quick edit' thing do?  Just curious...

> Windows has craploads of problems, but copy-pasting isn't one of them.

Yes, that seemed to work for me, but it seems Hans' friend had further
complains, so it would be good to know what they were.  I get the feeling that
  in win32, the terminal copy/paste doesn't recognize the end of text lines,
it's just a 'rectangle paint'.  Typically rich text widgets know how to
highlight only text, and perhaps that's important to Hans' friend.

Anyway Hans, you'll need to let us know whether the solutions outlined so far
are satisfactory to you or not.  Thanks to those who pitched in.