[IPython-dev] Re: Question about IPython behaviour

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 27 02:49:23 EDT 2005

Fernando Perez wrote:

> I talked to M. Hudson (pyrepl's author) ages ago about this: pyrepl
> wasn't suitable for ipython because it's curses-based.  That's how they
> get multi-line capabilities.  It is certainly a possibility to build a
> curses-enabled version of ipython which could run on top of pyrepl.

I'm not so interested in that part of pyrepl. I haven't delved through
the code enough, but it does do multiline editing pretty much as we want
to do in the GUI. To enable that, the component that executes the inputs
probably doesn't use the code.InteractiveConsole line-based API.
*That's* the part we should steal (if indeed, it does exist and I'm not
just thinking wishfully). The curses bit is fluff that is obviated by
going GUI.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu