[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] ANN: IPython 0.6.10 is out.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 30 14:52:06 EST 2005

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> I wrote:
>

>>>I gonna download the source of IPython-0.6.10 now and start
>>>investigating
>>>the setup.py and the ipython_post_win32_install.py script, which was
>>>used
>>>for the generation of the binary installer.
>>

>>It is necessary to call "os.chdir()" in order to get working links. -
>>I've modified
>>the post-install script and it works ...

No, the os.chdir() call crashes the 2.3 post installer.  So we _have_ to avoid it.

My win32 laptop screen turned on today, so I did a bit more testing.  The
situation seems to be, with ipython 0.6.10 for win32 binary, assuming a
machine with both python 2.3 and 2.4 installed:

- installing for 2.3 works perfectly.  No crashes, no problem.

- installng for 2.4 crashes at the end (MS traceback).  NO shortcuts are
created, though ipython itself does install correctly.  I tested this by using
a shortcut from the 2.3 install and modifying the path, and it works
perfectly.  This binary crash occurs regardless of whether the installer is
run from the C: drive or from a different one.

I am pretty much sure that the bug is in python 2.4, since this occurs running
the _same_ binary installer (made under linux with bdist_wininst).

Argh.  This is really frustrating.