[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] ipython gui interpreters

Frédéric Mantegazza mantegazza at ill.fr
Mon Aug 22 11:07:01 EDT 2005

Le Lundi 22 Août 2005 16:41, Charles Moad a écrit :

> 	Out of curiosity, is there any working code out there for using ipython
> in guis for Tk or Gtk?  I know the notebook work is going on, but I am
> interested in turning a textarea into an interactive interpreter.

Hello,

I started to port konsole, the terminal emulator of KDE, for pyqt, with the
help of Lars Doelle, the konsole author, which sent me a qt-based only
code.

But as there are a lot of C++ specific stuff in the code (heavy usage of
macros, lots of pointers...), I think it is better to start from scratch
and make something more pythonic.

As I won't have time to do that, I asked a french company to do the job for
us. I'm waiting for an offer. In any case the code will be released under
GPL.

The architecture of the original C++ code is very nice, with a good
isolation between emulation and view. I think we'll keep the same, so it
will be easy to adapt it for another toolkit. In fact, the nasty part is
the emulation itself (ESC sequences to decode, readline support, and so).
Once it is written, the rest will be very easy.

If you can't wait, I can send the code I wrote so far (only a few untested
classes, and not the emulation one !).

PS : this project will allow to run any kind of console-base application
(shell, python..., and of course, ipython).

--
   Frédéric