[IPython-dev] Windows installer - Clarification

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 21 16:40:40 EDT 2004

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
> Hello Fernando,
>
> You wrote:
>

>>No, you should be using CVS code always for development.  It's the
>>closest thing in existence (and identical when I submit) to what's
>>sitting on my computer.  The actual releases may lag by a lot with
>>respect to what's in CVS.
>

> Thanks for clarification. - The reason, why I brought this up, is that
> if I work from a
> CVS snapshot on Windows, I miss the HTML- and PDF-Version of the
> documentation,
> which was needed in the original version of your post-install script.

Ah, I'd forgotten about this.  The build process really depends on a bunch of
unix tools, specifically lyxport (which pulls in perl, lyx, latex, latex2html,
pdflatex,...).  I don't know how feasible it is for you to get all of this
working under Windows, I suspect it would be a nightmare.

lyxport (http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/lyxport) is something I wrote a
while back and which I use to manage the IPython documentation.  You could get
by with keeping a copy of the html/pdf docs from the release tarballs, and the
actual code from CVS.  It won't be perfect, but it should let you make all
functional tests.

Once the setup code is working, I can do the actual release builds on a unix
box where everything will get built in the right order.

Sorry for this hack, I never thought development would be done under Windows.

Thanks,