[IPython-dev] Re: Re: Re: Windows fixes, new prompts in CVS, testers?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 11 13:34:46 EDT 2004

Gary Bishop wrote:
> Could it be the permissions on the file as created by cygwin? I've had
> occasional problems with permissions resulting from using both.
> gb

Thorsten, do you have a feel for whether this could be the problem?  I really
don't understand why it doesn't work.  Here's the code:

         if self.LOGMODE == 'backup':
             if os.path.isfile(self.logfname):
                 backup_logname = self.logfname+'~'
                 # Manually remove any old backup, since os.remove may fail
                 # under Windows.
                 if os.path.isfile(backup_logname):
                     os.remove(backup_logname)
                 os.rename(self.logfname,backup_logname)
             self.logfile = open(self.logfname,'w')

It _manually_ does the file removal of the backup first, before attempting the
rename operation.  If this doesn't work, I simply don't know what else one can
do to force windows to delete the backup and rename the current file as backup.