[IPython-dev] Commits to CVS, fixes, and shell access (RFC)

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 1 04:48:43 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to catch up a bit on ipython matters.  I just committed some
bugfixes to CVS for various problems (among others, Solaris crashes caused by
the curses module and crashes when users closed sys.stdin/out/err).

I also made some 'improvements' to the shell access mechanism, spurred by the
recent discussions on the matter.   I'll try to say more about that discussion
in a couple of days, but I'd appreciate some feedback on the changes I made.

Recapping, people have always wanted easy access to the shell, with a way to
capture the result for further python use.  I added @sc as a magic to do this
in January, and it's flexible with options.  But at the time, the '!!' syntax
was also liked, and I realized that a very common usage mode is simply to want
to loop over shell output in a line-oriented manner (as most unix tools are
designed).

So I decided today to add (it's in CVS for you to play with) the following:

- @sx, a new magic to execute in the shell any command.  This one, in contrast
to @sc, doesn't require a variable name.  Instead it _returns_ the output,
split as a list on '\n', to the normal ipython namespace.  Since ipython
remembers all output as _N, Out[N], and the last three as _,__ and ___, I
realized that this might be a very useful thing to have, leveraging the
existing output storage mechanism.

- !!cmd is a new syntax for '@sx cmd'.  It makes it very easy to get a command
to the shell remembering and typing as little as possible.

Examples:

In [5]: !ls
IPython-0.5.0.tar.gz  pyamazonpres.tgz

In [6]: sx ls
Out[6]: ['IPython-0.5.0.tar.gz', 'pyamazonpres.tgz']

In [7]: !!ls  # identical to [6] above
Out[7]: ['IPython-0.5.0.tar.gz', 'pyamazonpres.tgz']

In [8]: sc a=ls  # nothing is printed, results in a

In [9]: print a
IPython-0.5.0.tar.gz
pyamazonpres.tgz

In [10]: sc -l a=ls  # results split as a list, then stored in a

In [11]: print a
['IPython-0.5.0.tar.gz', 'pyamazonpres.tgz']

In summary, you can now in ipython access the shell via (in addition to any
aliases you may have defined):

- !cmd -> execute cmd, return None (output of cmd is printed)

- !!cmd, @sx cmd -> execute cmd and return output of cmd, split on '\n', as a
python list.

- @sc [options] var=cmd -> execute cmd and store its output in var.  Returns
None.  Option -l causes a split on '\n' before storing into var, and option -v
causes the contents to be printed.

@sc is the one with the most flexibility for shell capture, while also
requiring more typing and remembering options.

I see myself mostly using !cmd as today for quick shell access, and !!cmd when
I want to pick up for example some filenames for further manipulation through
python.  !!cmd is a natural enough extension of !cmd that I think I can
remember it easily.

I'd appreciate feedback on these changes, esp. on whether they enhance
ipython's functionality for shell access without detracting from its main
python nature.  I'll try to address more radical (but optional) enhancements
which others have proposed in another message in a few days.

Also, any reports of breakage (or successful improvements) from the recent CVS
commits would be very welcome.

Cheers,

f.