[IPython-dev] IPython with Color on windows

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Sat May 24 18:27:47 EDT 2003

Option 1 would not require changing sys.stdout. I wouldn't want to do
that. It would work just like option 2 except instead of passing
arguments, you import a module with the info. I'd do something like a
module "ConsoleFilter" with a variable "ConsoleOut".

Now any module that wants to output to the console, just

from ConsoleFilter import ConsoleOut

print >>ConsoleOut, whatever

instead of

print whatever

The ConsoleFilter (or whatever) module takes care of initializing
"ConsoleFilter" based on the OS and available modules, etc.

Very minimal changes to the current structure and the change is nicely
encapsulated in the "terminal" module.

See what I mean? It would be much easier (for me at least) to implement
than 2 which requires changing every place in the call chain to provide
the object.

gb