[Inpycon] Detailed Proposal for PyCon India 2021

Chandan Kumar raukadah at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 04:46:59 EST 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 11:13, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18 2021, Chandan Kumar wrote:
>
> The plan looks solid. Just one little thing I'd like to raise.
>
> [...]
>

> > Below you can find the  detailed proposal for PyCon India 2021.
> >
> > Dates for the event: 16th to 19th September, 2021
>
> [...]
>
> Wouldn't it be better to hold the event on the ground in the "real
> world" rather than online if possible? September is some way off and
> with the vaccination and other things going on, it might be viable to
> hold it at a physical location then.
>
> I realise that there are issues with getting a place and stuff like that
> given the uncertainty but, in my mind, if there is a way to do the event
> in the real world rather than online, that's the way it should be done.

Thank you Noufal for your comments.

We all do miss the offline setting of PyCon India and meeting each
other in real life.
During the initial planning meeting, we talked about doing the pros
and cons of having the conference offline.

But, by seeing the current COVID-19 pandemic scenario, availability of
vaccines, and
some inspirations from other conferences like EuroPython 2021, PyCon
US 2021 we decided
to take it online (though these conferences happen a couple months
before ours).

Few other factors we considered were:

- Even if there's a possibility of the vaccine working by September,
it'll be too late for foreign speakers/attendees to take that call.
- If there is a possibility of a second or a third wave, or even a new
strain of virus, how would things turn out.
- Learning from last year was the team was undecided with the
scenario,  like we had almost booked the venue but kept the decision
on hold as India was put into lockdown.
- Budgeting becomes easier, and the team can have a more clear picture
and better timeline if we decide to go online now itself.

By keeping the safety of our community in mind, we decided to host virtually.

Thanks,

Chandan Kumar