[Inpycon] Chat platform-Zulip for Pycon

Aditi Prakash ap2205 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 23:07:34 EDT 2019

This year for PyCon India, we are planning to have a forum setup for
attendees to interact. We are considering Zulip, an open-source chat
platform similar to slack. Currently there's only PyCon India mailing list
but this includes the organizers and not the attendees. The reason for
having this in-place is to connect attendees and we believe it'll be
especially useful when planning commute by pooling, accommodation, etc.

Zulip allows users to create channels and have topics within channels, for
example: "On Road Bangalore" could be a topic under #travel channel. Easy
search, better organization of channels and topics. Further, new users can
read history and the chat limit is not as bad as Slack.

Additionally, we are planning to create a separate channel specifically for
women attendees which is sort like community support amongst women.

We will also include a channel for announcements that will be linked to
PyCon India Twitter account.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this are welcome!