[Inpycon] Special Track - ML/AI

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Mon Jul 1 02:57:42 EDT 2019

Looking at the number of submissions to the CFP and the ones that cover
ML/AI and Big Data, wonder if it makes sense to experiment with a
separate track for these in the upcoming PyCon.

Reasons

1. Many of these talks are specialized - trying to cover A,B and C or
using A,B in the context of C etc. Judging them from a perspective of
the general talk track may do an injustice to (what may become) some
good/specialized talks.

I have been a CFP reviewer and the thinking sometimes is, "Hey, this
can be picked up from an article on the Internet" or "This is too
specialized for PyCon". However with the explosion of research in the
field and the things to talk about, this kind of generic approach
may not be valid any more.

I think it is time to start bucketing these talks out of the
generic talks bucket.

2. The "jarring" effect - This is something which I feel when I am
sitting in hall in PyCon listening to say a talk on Decorators and
Metaclasses and suddenly the next talk is on "How GAANs used for Deep
Learning using Superlative Lyapuanov Regression has a High Recall"
(purely illustrative, AFAIK no such talk exist).

You often feel out of context or a "Hey, I dont belong here" feeling.
So specialized talks should have their specialized place and perhaps
their own specialized scoring.

3. The "Data" crowd - I guess with AI and ML talking over daily
computing algorithms on a daily basis, the crowd which comes to listen
to talks/workshops on data is going to only increase so it maybe a good
idea to start listening to them. PyData conferences are on the increase
but AFAIK there is no pan India PyData conference yet so closest I know
is PyCon India itself.

--Anand

Software Architect/Consultant

Founder & Director,