[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Aniket Maithani maithani.aniket at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 22:30:09 EST 2018

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 6:54 AM, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in>
wrote:

> There wouldn't be any PyCon India for long if there is no next generation
> to take the baton.
> And if we shoo away valued members like Shashank with these curt remarks,
> we will lose our valued members.
>
> We either learn to be more welcoming to the newcomers and let them handle
> more and more responsibility or be prepared for the community to die before
> us.
>
> What do we value more, people of the community or vijay being the
> infallible overlord who is too proud to apologise?
>
> #letCOMMNITYdecide

This whole mail thread make me think twice about writing my opinion about
this topic. I'll go ahead anyway.

My first Pycon was PyCon India 2014 and boy! I still get goosebumps
whenever I think about the time I had. All of my mentors, employers,
friends are from this community only. I won't name anyone in particular but
those who know me personally they know I am talking about them. Some of the
guys here are because of the fact that I told them to come and join this
community.

We can have difference of opinion and it's fine I guess. That is what makes
this community active and dynamic in nature. I had my fair share of bashing
[I would rather call it "course correction"] whenever I did something which
was not in coherence with the community guidelines.  Too much of RTFM!! :P
. At the end of it I understand that one has to be /dev/null. But that
doesn't mean you have to be "ego-istic!"

Community is about "WE" and not "I". I mean if you think about it whenever
I ask my juniors [college/school] to volunteer for the event or get
involved in the community [in general] I always make them understand about
the "WE" part.

It's not an allegation but I believe if someone believes that he/she is
bigger than the community then I am afraid... he/she is not.

Also, what does the word "VOLUNTEER" means?
As per Google -: a person who works for an organization without being paid.

Yeah right! So if a person is actually taking out time to review a PR
he/she is not doing it just to get some GREEN PATCH on his Git account!
[pun] but because he/she believes in the fact "THAT'S HOW COMMUNITY
WORKS!". *Just because a person is there in the community since quite some
time it gives him no right to act like "I AM THE ONE"*. And as Anuvrat
pointed out if we keep shoo-ing away young people from the community we
will INFACT loose some of our valuable members.

Keeping it short!
- Yes, I am disappointed by this episode.
- Let's keep the spirit high guys. Apology or no apology let's focus on the
task in hand.
- It's Sunday! So keep your tea warm and your beer cold!

p.s : AFAIK Anuvrat is more of a coffee guy so yeah.. lame joke.

**Lighting the mood**

Signing off...

Aniket Maithani
www.aniketmaithani.net